- On July 26, 2013, Mr. Kizzia obtained a $5,218,000 jury verdict in the 43rd District Court of Parker County Texas on behalf of firm client Jerry Wall. Mr. Wall suffered catastrophic injuries, including the loss of one of his legs, due to a wrong-way driver on Interstate 20 near Weatherford, Texas.
- Obtained summary judgment from a Tarrant County State District Court for a liability insurance carrier in defense of a suit based on an alleged failure to defend a personal injury suit arising from allegation of child molestation at a daycare center.
- Obtained summary judgment from a Tarrant County State District Court for a liability insurance carrier in defense of a suit based on an alleged failure to defend a property loss claim resulting from fire damage.
- Obtained summary judgment from a Grayson County State District Court for a liability insurance carrier in defense of a suit based on an alleged failure to defend and settle a personal injury claim arising from a construction accident.
- Obtained a dismissal of a suit filed in Denton County State District Court by a Nevada corporation against Texas residents who were alleged to have fraudulently induced the sale of real property near Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Injunctive relief against the firm’s clients was denied.
- Received for the firm’s client a unanimous jury verdict after a state court trial in Harris County, Texas, involving a claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Won a unanimous jury verdict in Federal Court in the Northern District of Texas involving claims of copyright infringement and defamation.
- Obtained summary judgment for a national newspaper publisher in a wrongful death suit resulting from an automobile accident involving one of the newspaper’s distributors.
- Obtained summary judgment for a workers’ compensation insurance carrier and third-party administrator from a Dallas Federal Court in an insurance bad faith and wrongful death suit, successfully convincing the Court that North Carolina, as opposed to Texas law, applied.
- Obtained summary judgment from an Albuquerque, New Mexico Federal Court in a defamation suit brought against a physician organization by a former member of that organization who was accused in a professional publication of stock fraud.
- Successfully defended Hartford in a suit brought in Dallas County State Court by several former insured employers who alleged that Hartford had mishandled their workers’ compensation claims, thereby causing their insurance premiums to escalate. The jury rejected those contentions and rendered a verdict for Hartford after an 8-week trial.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals; Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association
- Southern Methodist University, J.D., 1981
- Austin College, B.A., 1977
HONORS & RECOGNITIONS
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” by D Magazine 2017, 2011
- “10 Best Attorneys, Exceptional Customer Service” by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, 2017
- Vice Chair of the Dallas Bar Association’s Courthouse Committee, 2013
- Member of the Committee for a Qualified Judiciary
- “Mentor of the Year” Award, 2008 (Strasburger & Price, LLP)
- Texas Monthly Top Lawyers in Texas, 2016
- Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023
- Martindale Hubble AV Preeminent Rating 2022 – “Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards”
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
Mr. Kizzia has served on the faculty for the Dallas County Community College paralegal program and has been a frequent lecturer for several insurance and business organizations, including the Texas Bar Association, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Lorman Education Services, Texas Society of CPA’s, and the National Business Institute. He has also had articles published in practice group newsletters for the ABA’s Tort & Insurance Practice Section and an article published by the Journal of Air Law and Commerce. Legislature Forces Employers to Allow Packing While Parking, Strasburger Employment Law Blog, May 5, 2011.
Chamber Fails in Razing Arizona Employment Law Strasburger Employment Law Blog. 25 Jul. 2011.
Texas Legislators Force Employers to Allow Packing While Parking Strasburger Employment Law Blog. 5 May 2011.
Illegal Immigration Laws: Let’s Get Ready to Rumba! Strasburger Employment Law Blog. 1 Mar. 2011.
Court Waives Good-Bye to Employee’s Negligence Claim. Strasburger Employment Law Blog. 17 Dec. 2011.
Legitimacy of Employee Claimant’s Social Security Number Held to be Discoverable, Recent Developments in Media, Privacy, and Defamation Law. Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal.Winter 2010.
No Waffling Allowed on Sexual Harassment Claim. Strasburger Employment Law Blog. 12 July 2010.
Texas Supreme Court Labels Immigration Status as a “Flammable” Issue in a Jury Trial. Strasburger Employment Law Blog. 29 April 2010.
Fifth Circuit Finds No Legal Reason to “Reign” in Rude Behavior. Strasburger Employment Law Blog. 3 March 2010.
Texas Supreme Court Awards Christmas Bonus. Strasburger Employment Law Blog. 29 Dec. 2009.
Anti-Entergy Legislation Loses Energy. Strasburger Labor & Employment Newsletter. 5 Oct. 2009.
Texas Legislature’s 2009 Regular Session Ends Without Major Impact on Employers. Strasburger Labor & Employment Newsletter. 19 June 2009.
Temporary Workers: Risky Business? Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Law Committee Newsletter. (Fall 2007.)
IN THE COMMUNITY
Brad is a passionate supporter of the March of Dimes “Breakfast of Champions” annual event in Dallas.
Brad lives in Dallas and is a dedicated fan of the Houston Astros and the Texas Rangers.